To create a new workflow:
1. Click on Automation in the menu on the left sidebar.
2. In the first tab, Workflows, click the Add button.
Create the Trigger
A trigger is an event that will initiate the workflow. Examples of triggers include the creation of a new client, matter, task, or lead, updating a matter, moving a matter or lead to a new stage, or activating a user.
3. Set up the trigger that will initiate the workflow. Select one of the following trigger types.
Trigger type descriptions are listed below:
Matter created – The workflow will begin once a new matter is created and saved.
Matter updated – If you make a change to an existing matter and click Update, the workflow will execute.
Contact created – After you create a new contact, the workflow will execute.
Task created – If you add a task to a matter the workflow will be initiated.
Matter moved to stage – Once you move a matter to the next stage in the process, the workflow will execute.
Lead moved to stage – Once you move a lead to the next stage, the workflow will execute.
User activated – A designated user can manually activate the workflow as needed.
The Continue button will change to blue once you have selected a trigger.
4. Select the user who will be able to trigger the workflow. For example, if you have selected the Matter created trigger, you can set the workflow to initiate once you or anyone else creates a matter. Or, you can select a specific person, including yourself, from a list of available users.
5. Click the blue Continue button to open the task selection page.
Define the Actions
The next step is to define any actions or tasks that must be completed in the workflow. Examples of actions include sending an email or text message, creating a document from a template, or adding reminders to call clients or perform research.
The Event options window will display as shown below if you select one of the following triggers: Matter created, Lead created, Matter moved to stage or Lead moved to stage.
1. Pipeline: You will be prompted to choose a workflow category. A pipeline displays your stages and phases in a Kanban view.
2. Stage: Depending on the workflow you select, you will be prompted to choose from a list of stages applicable to the selected workflow.
3. Click the blue Continue button to move to the next step.
If you select the Matter updated, Client created, Task created, or User Activated trigger, the Actions page will display immediately.
4. Select an action and click the blue Next button. In this example, Add Task to Matter has been selected so the following screen will display.
A description of each action is listed below:
Create Matter – A new matter is created using the information entered in the action template.
Create Person – A new contact record is created using the information entered in the action template.
Add Task to Matter – The defined task will be added to the matter specified. You can also assign one or more users to the task and they will be notified by email once the task is assigned to them.
Send Email – An email will be sent to recipients you specify in the workflow. CC and BCC recipients can be added as well.
Add Event – An event such as a meeting will be created and details including participants, date/time, and location can be added.
Send SMS – A text message will be sent to recipients you specify. The maximum message length is 160 characters.
Create Document – A new document related to the matter will be created from the selected template and associated with the matter record.
5. Complete the action details as applicable. For more detailed information about the Action Template options, please see the article "Understanding Action Template Options" in the Automation - Workflows section.
a. Fields denoted by a red asterisk are required.
b. Click the icon on the field to open a list of options for populating the field. For more details about each available option, please see the "Workflows - Understanding Action Details" article.
You can type a value for each field or you can pull data from the matter record, as applicable.
c. Click Add User if you need to assign the task to multiple users.
6. Click Save to create a new workflow with the new action. Or, if you need to create additional actions for the workflow, click Continue + new action to save the workflow and add more actions.